Hofsas House wows your senses by bringing European Charm and Excellent Hospitality in Carmel-by-the-Sea
Disclosure: This post was written for The Hofsas House for exchange for accommodations. All opinions are 100% min
The Hofsas House is our favorite place to stay in Carmel-by-the-Sea in California. We only have to drive 2 hours to get there, but I would drive many hours to get there if I had too. It is so nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city. I love where the Hofsas House is located off from the main street but walking distance to everything! I feel like we are at my grandma's cozy home everytime we visit.
When we got there, we put everything in our room and then went down to the beach. At first I was amazed at how many people were in Carmel-by-the-Sea on a Sunday evening and where was everyone walking too…the beach just like us. When I turned the corner to head down to the beach that is when I realized why everyone was heading down. The most amazing Sunset I've ever seen. Everyone was taking pictures and there were so many people! We headed down the sandy hill to the beach and took photos of the sunset and our daughter. We had so much fun, and it was the perfect start to our mini getaway.
After our beautiful beach moment, we headed back to the hotel for the night. We enjoyed a lovely platter of cheese and wine. The room is big and for a family it is PERFECT. The kids stay in the front room that has two day beds and their own full bathroom. Then you go down a hallway, and there is the main room with a huge comfy king size bed and another full bathroom. There is 2 TV's in the room but if you don't have to use them don't. In the front room, there is also a mini-kitchen with fridge and a table. Off the front room is a long deck it was beautiful to just to sit out there at night and hear NOTHING!
In the morning, we got up and went to the lobby for coffee, fresh pastries, and fruit. The staff is so friendly and genuinely care that you have a good time while you are in Carmel. They will give you recommendations on what to do for the day, where to eat, and the sites to check out. We wanted to see more of the beach, so they walked us through the best beaches to head to and before we left they let us know about this wonderful deli to get sandwiches for a picnic on the beach.
After a beautiful afternoon at the beach, we headed back to the hotel where my daughter wanted to swim in the pool. I didn't mind at all. She swam, and I enjoyed the sun. My husband went up and took a nap- who does that! We had a very relaxing fun day and the night was just beginning. We decided to head downtown where we can do some shopping, taste some wine, and have some dinner.
Shopping in Carmel-by-the-Sea is amazing, they have all the high-end stores plus so many artsy shops that are so much fun to go into and see what they have. We have our favorite stores, but LUSH is a place we always stop in and buy something. At the Hofsas House, they have full tubs in both bathrooms, so I love to soak in the bath (since I don't have one at home) before bed. So of course I got a bath ball that was so soothing that was the best end to a beautiful day.
Wine Tasting is Carmel-by-the-Sea is a MUST! We enjoyed walking around downtown and popping into to shops that offered Wine Tasting- which we got a WINE TASTING PASSPORT from The Hofsas House. Everywhere we went people were so friendly and their wine knowledge was incredible. What I enjoyed the most was we were able to test these beautiful wines that were from the area and then walk to the next, no driving no busy streets, no crowds- just friendly people in every place we stopped in.
Carmel Wine Walk info:
- Self-paced; self guided visit to the 14 tasting rooms in the 1×1 square mile of Carmel-by-the-Sea.
- Park and walk tot tasting rooms
- Sample local estate-grown still and sparkling wines.
- Corkage waived at participating restaurants (1 bottle per visit) for bottles purchased on your Wine Walk
- The Passport does not expire so that it can be used over several days, weeks, or months.
- Visit online CarmelWineWalk.org
- Social Media: @CarmelWineWalk
Dining in Carmel-by-the-Sea is AMAZING! We dined at the Grill on Ocean Avenue and let me tell you I felt so comfortable and not out of place. If you want to experience some tantalizing array of seafood, chicken, lamb, duck, and steak then the Grill is the place to go. The staff is there to take care of you and they do that with perfection. This place looks fancy, but it is so comfortable inside that you feel like you belong there, they even have table clothes that can be colored on for the kids of course. They have a casual ambiance that blends with warm with the oak, tapestry, mirrors, and rustic fireplace. However, it also suitable for special occasions. We will be back to this restaurant for sure. Food and service were spectacular at the Grill on Ocean Avenue.
Please check out the Hofsas House when you go to Carmel-by-the-Sea becasue the friendly staff, comfy rooms, and a pool (which not many hotels have there) make it so worth the stay. Here is more info about the Hofsas House.
Hofsas House Hotel is family owned and operated. Donna Hofsas moved to Carmel in the late 1940’s and began her journey in the hotel business. After Donna passed away in 1981 her son, Jack Theis, ran it with his wife but now his daughter Carrie carries on the family legacy of service and hospitality. Carrie was super sweet and just made us feel at home. She has so much knowledge of Carmel and the history that is was amazing to listen to her talk. They are celebrating over 60 years in Carmel-by-the-Sea. The Hofsas House Hotel family works very hard to ensure every visitor's experience is special- not that many places take the time out to arrange for places for you to see or visit. Besides being very family friendly, they are also very pet-friendly. The rooms (38 rooms)are Bavarian-inspired; all have Dutch doors, and some rooms have fireplaces, balconies, and wet bar/kitchen.
- Pet-Friendly Rooms/Pet Concierge Services
- Heated Pool
- European Style Dry Saunas
- Off Street Parking
- Continental breakfast
- Wifi, voice mails, cable tv
- Netbook- mobile business center
Places To Visit While In Carmel
- Point Lobos State Reserve~ we went there and had such an awesome time.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium~ we’ve been there before, but a must see! Hofsas House has two-day pass for the price of 1.
- Big Sur~ Cliffs, rocks, redwoods- explore time!
- Carmel Valley~ 12 miles of scenic hiking, golf, wine tasting, and restaurants
- 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach~ Magical, legendary scenic drive.
Hofsas House Special Packages
- Family Reunion Package~ provides groups for rooms (with 5 or more) – with 2-night minimum stay. You also get the Beach Fire & S'mores Package ($60)
- Wine and Cheese Package- Wine Tasting Passport, Wine from the Monterey County Wine and cheese from the Cheese Shop.
- Third Night's a Charm~ get the 3rd day 1/3 off. One more day! Mention code HHCHARM when booking.
- Golfer's Delight~ 2 packages to pick from. Quail Lodge Golf Club – 9-hole round of golf for two includes shared cart and range balls. $50 – Promo code: HHQUAIL then Poppy Hills Golf Course (additional $185 but well worth it) use promo code HHPOPPY
- Take a Hike~ includes $25 GC for 5th Ave Deli and complimentary Point Lobos day pass. Promo code is: HHNature
- Movie Star Tour: Relax aboard the multimedia Theater on Wheels cost is $55 per person promo code is HHSTARS
- History Walking Tour~ 2hour informative guided walk of the peculiar charms of Carmel. $25 per person and promo are HHWALKS