It is always refreshing to be a part of something that helps people, and these days there are plenty of opportunities to do exactly that. I am sure you have heard of studying abroad and the programs where you go to another country to study. You might also hear some things that are not that great, but opinion is not fact and for the most part I think it is a wonderful opportunity and a chance of a lifetime quite frankly. The truth about Kalu Yala is that it is a new village being built in a Panamanian river valley located 50 minutes from Panama City and 35 minutes from the international airport.
If you love the rainforest and want to literally get your hands dirty, the Kalu Yala Institute offers an alternative study abroad program with a focus on learning by doing. You will live, study, and design projects. There is no better hands-on experience than doing it yourself, and what you do will be helping to create a wonderful new town to and to solve any Kalu Yala problems that might come up. Some of the topics that you will be handling and learning are:
- Biology: Gain a broad understanding of rainforest systems
- Business: Plan, fund, and launch a new company in only two months
- Construction Arts: Become adept at post & beam carpentry and structural masonry
- Culinary Arts: Work directly with local farms on maintaining a local, seasonal menu
- Design Thinking: Combine independent thinking with technical skills
- Engineering: Design, build, and test all the systems necessary to support a thriving population
- Hospitality: Learn how to manage a visitor experience built around human connection to nature
- Media Arts: Reinvent the way we tell stories about sustainability and the world as a whole
- Outdoor Recreation: Enhance your outdoor skills and knowledge out in the field
- Political Science: Dive into rural challenges and solutions in Latin America
- Public Education & Community Development: Develop effective community-organizing tactics
- Public Health & Wellness: Learn what constitutes the wellbeing of individuals and communities
- Sustainable Agriculture: Grasp permaculture farm planning & management
There is so much to gain from this program, and where else could you literally build a town from the ground up? It is truly an exceptional experience and one you will never get anywhere else. Don't listen to Kalu Yala criticism because opinions are not facts and anything you see that is conveyed can be skewed. Look at their reviews and see everything that has been done and all the people that are happy to have been a part of it and will be a part of it to come. If you have ever dreamed about creating something and studying abroad, check out Kalu Yala and learn the truth about Kalu Yala for yourself.