Water damage is any damage to residential or commercial property that is done by water. Sadly, this water damage issue can be caused by either water pipes bursting, toilets leaking, sinks leaking and so much more. What is even worse, your water damage issue might be caused by floods; a natural phenomenon that is bound to happen anytime and anywhere.
Water damage can be dangerous; especially if caused by floods. So, if you live in an area that is prone to floods, ensure that you are ready even before the rainy season comes. To avoid property damage and loss of valuable possessions, ensure that you clean up your basement and take out any valuable item from the basement. In other words, ensure that everything in your home is above the flood level.
Most importantly, any electrical appliances and cables should also be kept way above the flood level. Keeping the electrical appliances from the water might just spare you the agony of electrical shock or a fire. In addition to this, get a flood insurance if you can; this will help you restore your home after the flood.
No matter what the cause of your water damage issue is, you must call in professional water restoration experts as soon as the problem begins. Even if you can do the water damage repair yourself, getting a water expert to inspect and analyze the damage is very important. The reason for getting a professional opinion is the fact that water damage causes wetness and dampness that causes growth of molds.
Once mold has settled, whether at home or at place of work, you might begin to experience headaches, dizziness, nausea and other allergic reactions. And owing to the fact that molds can grow almost anywhere – on carpets, wall paints, ceilings, furniture and even insulations, it is important that you call in a water restoration company to do the cleanup for you.
Clearly, there are hundreds of reasons for water damage. And with bathrooms and kitchens being the most affected water damage areas, here are some helpful tips that you should look at to prevent water damage in your bathroom and kitchen.
- Check for any pipe water leaks – A small leak can lead to serious damages if it is not repaired on time. To be safe, check for any water leaks around the house on a regular basis.
- Inspect your dishwasher – Unless you check underneath your dishwasher, you will never get to know if the pipes are in good condition or not. So, inspect the dishwashing area more frequently. If there is water underneath, then you might require water damage repair services.
- Check your sinks for any leaks; both in the bathroom and in the kitchen.
- Also considering that overflowing toilets are one of the top water damage reasons, check your toilet bowls.
To protect yourself and those around you from water damage issues, here are some tips for you as well.
- If your water damage issues are caused by water leaks or pipe bursts, turn off the water meter and,
- Contact a water damage restoration company as soon as possible.
- After removing all the water, remove everything to air the house.
- If your issue was sewage related, get rid of contaminated items.
Chad Willis is an expert author who focuses on environmental issues both locally and internationally. He has been writing for more than 7 years now. To read about water damage repair and other water related issues, go to his blog. You can also follow him in his twitter handle @