CCTV installation is one of the best methods of securing your home, office and shops. There have been several advancements in CCTV technology making it more affordable. More homes in Australia are now opting for surveillance camera installations at their homes to keep them secure.
This is one of the best methods of deterring petty thefts and vandals. It is also quite effective in reducing crimes and can aid the police in catching the culprit in case of one.
It is quite common for homeowners to be unaware of which type of camera is fit for their house, where to place them and how much it will cost. If you are still questioning when and how to use a CCTV camera at home; keep on reading.
Factors to consider for CCTV camera installation
- One of the first factors to consider is the location of the cameras; this might depend on the main purpose of installing them. List the sections that are most vulnerable and place most suitable to mount a camera. Select spots where you are likely to get optimal coverage.
- There are many types of CCTV cameras, select one with the features that you feel are necessary for your home. Some of the popular ones include wifi security cameras, wireless, dome, bullet, IP Cameras, Zoom lens cameras, mini domes.
- Homeowners should consider the type of camera they require based on where they wish to place it. For example, the ones for outdoor surveillance will be different from those for the garage or the indoors. The outdoors one will usually be a one with a low-light or night vision feature.
- Consider the coverage of your cameras when installing them. It is likely that it is capturing footage of sections of a neighbour’s house. This might not be illegal, however; it is a good practice to be wary of this.
- Most security systems will require additional systems for recording the footage. This might include storage solutions, cables, etc. The storage size necessary will depend on the quality of the video; for example, HD Video will require more storage space. The space required will also depend on the amount of footage you wish to store and for how long.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How to install a security camera warning?
It is possible to use a suitable sign notifying anyone entering your premises about the presence of CCTV cameras.
- Requirements for CCTV installation?
The basic requirement of a CCTV camera system is that it should be hidden, have a reliable power supply, be mounted correctly, have appropriate cabling, wires, connectors and storage.
- How many CCTV cameras are there in Australia?
As of September 2019, there were about 1 million CCTV cameras in Australia with 300,000 installed in NSW.
- Does CCTV reduce crime?
Yes, it is effective in reducing thefts from homes as well as vehicle thefts.
- Do I need permission to install CCTV?
No, you do not need permission to install a CCTV camera system.
Common features of CCTV Cameras
There are many types of security cameras with various features. Here are some of the features you can expect to find in a camera:
- Support for network protocols like TCP/IP, HTTP, NTP, and many more.
- Range of the viewing angle
- The picture quality of cameras like 5Mp, 8MP, etc.
- Optical zoom
- Motion detection
- Night illumination
- Anti-fog cover
Important facts and statistics
- Australia ranks 7th in terms of burglaries worldwide.
- 4.3% of homes have had at least 1 break-in or attempted break-in in the last 12 years.
- There is a theft of belonging in 70.8% of the break-ins.
- The homeowners have confronted the burglars in 11.8% of the cases.
- As per a short survey, 37.5% have installed security cameras in South Australia, 34.6% in Victoria, 32.5% in Queensland, 31.1% in New South Wales, 27.4% in Western Australia and 26.1% in Tasmania during the period between April 2020 to April 2021.
- Common security measures in Australian households include deadlock, chains, security screens, burglar alarms, security cameras, sensor lights, secure entries.
What to expect from security camera installation?
Installing a surveillance camera system around the house does not necessarily mean spending big money. It is important to select the type of system you require and contact the professionals. They will provide you with the optimal system that suits your budget and one that serves your purpose.
Installation of a security camera system requires prior planning to spot the best locations and gain the best coverage. The cameras will need to be mounted at the vantage spots using drills.
It will also mean installing the DVR systemic close vicinity of the cameras yet in secure locations. The installation process will also involve managing the cables in the right manner.
You can expect the professional to have complete knowledge of CCTV installation, access control systems, alarms and more. They will have special cameras to fulfil all your requirements.
Installation of such security systems tend to start from $1000 however the actual cost will depend on your individual requirements. The higher the security or more complex the system with more features the more it will cost.