Giving their babies a healthy and delicious diet is the prime concern of most parents around the world. A baby that has been reared on nutritious and well-balanced meals is more likely to grow strong and develop well.
Research has shown that there are many benefits to feeding babies seafood, as these are not just low in sugar levels, but also are rich in essential proteins and fats. However, parents should be careful about what seafood they choose to feed their babies as some luxurious seafood items may harm instead of benefit.
The Perks of Seafood
Seafood is known for containing high levels of protein and fats such as Omega-3s, which are known for helping in the growth of a child. As babies require nutrition that supports their development processes, giving them seafood is a good idea.
Here is a quick list of the benefits of giving babies a seafood-based diet.
- Helps skeletal growth including bones, teeth, joints, etc.
- Ensures healthy eye development, eyes require large amounts of Omega-3s.
- Better behavior as Omega-3 content helps reduce stress in babies
- Building up of a stronger immunity
Seafood has many other benefits besides.
Baby-friendly Luxurious Seafood
Luxurious seafood is exciting, particularly due to the range of flavors that it contains. Parents often look forward to giving their little ones foods with exciting tastes to help develop their taste-buds. Here are some examples of luxurious seafood, which your nine-month or older baby might enjoy.
- Fish: seafood with low mercury levels such as light tuna is good for consumption by the baby. Feeding your baby salmon or sole fish is also a good idea as they have great nutritious benefits as well as excellent taste.
- Shellfish: clams, shrimps, and lobster are the most likely to cause allergies, thus it is recommended that your child be exposed to them at least after a year to three years of their birth to ensure safe consumption. That being said, shellfish are incredible to taste and have high levels of Omega-3s that can aid in the development of your little one.
The Right Time
Babies can consume solid foods after they turn six months old, which is the time when their tongue-thrust reflexes start fading and they can control their neck and head movements. However, it should be understood that seafood, especially luxury seafood items is best given to babies after they turn at least nine months of age.
Moreover, if your baby is prone to allergies, it is recommended to avoid exposing them to shellfish until they are at least three years of age to avoid potentially fatal reactions.
Seafood to Avoid
As delicious and amazing as seafood is, there are some forms of seafood that are best to avoid completely to ensure a healthier diet for your precious baby.
- Fish with high levels of mercury: meat from swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, or even sharks contain a lot of mercury, which might inadvertently affect development.
- Sushi (raw fish): giving your baby raw fish is dangerous as raw fish can contain bacteria that your baby's immune system might not be able to defend at this tender age.
Seafood is thus an excellent food group to feed babies that are at least nine months old, as they contain high levels of proteins and good fats like Omega-3, which provide support to the early development processes.
Luxurious seafood can also help develop the baby's palate and make them more sensitive to a range of different tastes. However, parents should feed their little ones with great care as some babies are less tolerant to luxurious seafood items. It is thus best to feed babies only those things that have been recommended by healthcare practitioners.